What to pick for 12 year old niece!

We make a LOT of ready-to-play micro boardgames including the "When Good... Go Bad" series, Space War, Catskills, Anyville Horror, Lemmings In Space, Who's Your Daddy?, Brunch at the Coliseum, and much, much more. If you can play it without any additional pieces beyond perhaps a pencil or a six-sider you'll find it in this forum.

Moderator: Chris

What to pick for 12 year old niece!

Postby Kersus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 am

So, I was thinking of snagging a micro-game for my niece for Christmas and curious as to what you might recommend.

She's 12, doesn't care for strategy or backstabbing people much. She loves games like Pit, Killer Bunnies, Munchkin, Hex Hex....

She likes funny or storytelling type things.

Whatcha think?

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:46 pm

No backstabbing??? :P

Well, the games with the "least" backstabbing would include:
The Anyville Horror
Crouching Hamster, Hidden Translation
Exploring the Depths of Uranus

I would also recommend
Fuzzy Heroes
Plastic Ships and Fuzzy Men
or Very Large Creature
...although they are all combat games.

Sports Fuzz (If she likes sports games)

I don't think I have ever written a story-teller game, frankly.

At least not that ever so print.

XXOOCC
The guy that runs this chicken outfit.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby deimos3428 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:11 pm

I was going to recommend "Brunch at the Coliseum". It's even got an animal in it!

...mind you, it's a blood-thirsty lion. :?
deimos3428

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:45 am

heh, and Brunch can be a bit backstabby as the players ARE trying to kill each other :D.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:20 pm

So, these are the ones I'm thinking about. Anyville Horror, Lemmings in Space, Brunch at the Colliseum, Abdul's Adventure.

What is Abdul's Adventure? I know it's about a caravan across the desert but nothing about gameplay.

12 year old girl. Likes games, but isn't strategy oriented and I don't want something she's going to lose at every time because she's much younger than her siblings (siblings 17-20).

P.S. I'm getting When Good Neighbors Go Bad for myself ;) I have Trade Wars and Exploring the Depths of Uranus. I just can't find where my wife 'cleaned' The Depths of Uranus lately. Har har.

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Okay - way late reply here, and my apologies for that. This one slipped thru my radar-net.

Anyville AND Lemmings are both player v. player games, but both are remarkably cute rather than "argument starters".

Abdul's Adventure is actually out-of-print. I have two copies left. It is, definitely, a player vs. game type of game. It is a resource management game where you outfit and grow your caravan, so your equipment choices, and some luck, are the main crux.

In Brunch, you're trying to get the emperor to release you from the arena rather than just surviving the chaotic violence OF the arena. You can be a lion, gladiator, or slave; each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses... but it can be pretty gorey, although the "gore" is all done in an adult-humor vein (black comedy).

Again, sorry this is late... hope it still helps.

XXOOCC
Last edited by Chris on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:22 pm

It certainly helps. Thanks for the info :)

K
Kersus

Return to Micro-board Games