Trade Wars

We make a LOT of ready-to-play micro boardgames including the "When Good... Go Bad" series, Space War, Catskills, Anyville Horror, Lemmings In Space, Who's Your Daddy?, Brunch at the Coliseum, and much, much more. If you can play it without any additional pieces beyond perhaps a pencil or a six-sider you'll find it in this forum.

Moderator: Chris

Postby Kersus » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 pm

Is the centre a movable space?

In a 3 player game, are the hospital and R&D zones in the 4th player area dead?

What happens to oil when the carrying unit is defeated (destroyed or given to attacker)?

Can you move a unit with oil to a square with units and on the same movement phase move units out of that square using up that oil?

When attacking a square with multiple units and one unit was carrying oil, can you specifically attack the unit carrying the oil, or is it just kept by the owning player unless all of their units in the square are destroyed?

If there is no defense or labour units in a factory, do you still get 5 labour units for conquering it when you move in? Thus if you take one, and move out, could someone else conquer it simply by moving in and get 5 labour units, or must you defeat a garrison to get the 5 labour points? Would a factory revert to it's original ownership if you remove your garrison in theirs after taking it?

K
Last edited by Kersus on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kersus

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm

I sent the board today, but it looks like it may have bounced due to file size issues... let me know if you get it!
XXOOCC
The guy that runs this chicken outfit.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:47 am

Received and a very gushing thank you. :) :D :)

Don't forget the questions above.

The board looks great. I'll be off to a print shop to get a nice large version printed out next week. Then I need to print out the playing pieces for 4 more colours. I'm excited!

I think I'll get an enlarged version of the 4-player board too.

I want to try using the pieces from ATTACK! for Tradewars too.

Thanks!

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:08 pm

It appears I missed a few questions :D.

Is the centre a movable space?
Yes. The board is that shape so that most factories regardless of the country in which they reside, are equa-distant from each other.

In a 3 player game, are the hospital and R&D zones in the 4th player area dead?
Yes. Any country that is unoccupied is counted as but 1 space for movement for the entire country, and it is considered desert for game purposes; nothing exists there, and the entire 1/4 of the map is counted as only one space for movement.

What happens to oil when the carrying unit is defeated (destroyed or given to attacker)?
The oil is captured and may be used by the victorious attacker, but ALL opposing units must be destroyed for this to occur.

Can you move a unit with oil to a square with units and on the same movement phase move units out of that square using up that oil?
Yes. In our at-home games this is known as "leap-frogging".

When attacking a square with multiple units and one unit was carrying oil, can you specifically attack the unit carrying the oil, or is it just kept by the owning player unless all of their units in the square are destroyed?
"B", it just kept by the owning player unless all of their units in the square are destroyed.

If there is no defense or labour units in a factory, do you still get 5 labour units for conquering it when you move in?
Yes. Don't forget that if there are Labor Units there, however, you'll need one attacking unit PER Labor Unit in order to destroy them all and take the factory. Fodder, anyone?
Thus if you take one, and move out, could someone else conquer it simply by moving in and get 5 labour units,
Yes.
...or must you defeat a garrison to get the 5 labour points?
No.
Would a factory revert to it's original ownership if you remove your garrison in theirs after taking it?
No. The factory remains the property of the last player that conquered it until another player conquers it.

Hint: If your selling tanks, don't take an opponents tank factory unless you know he has the means to retake within a turn or two - you'll cut your own market share severely. By the same token, if your opponent sells planes, food, oil, etc. you can severely cut his ability to market by taking an opponents factory of that type ... hehe..

XXOOCC

Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Sweet! Thank you.

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm

This game was actually designed (initial version) during my college days at the ol' U of I.. but it remains one of my favorites.

Here's hoping you can get a bunch of folks tyo sit down and play... as more players in that game always equals more fun.

I'll see if I can get a play by post started for a game here... anyone interested?

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 am

When you play the game yourself, what playing pieces do you use? Do you use the paper pieces or do you have a private set of something else?

I was thinking of scrounging some small pieces from other games like ATTACK and the like.

K
Kersus

Postby Kersus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 am

Chris wrote:I'll see if I can get a play by post started for a game here... anyone interested?

<raises hand> Me! My nephew might as well.

K
Kersus

Postby Kersus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:15 am

When you play the game yourself, what playing pieces do you use? Do you use the paper pieces or do you have a private set of something else?

I was thinking of scrounging some small pieces from other games like ATTACK and the like.

ATTACK! has planes, tanks, and Labour Unit type dudes... Now I guess all I need is oil. TW made my ATTACK! game more wortthwhile anyway ;)

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 am

I'm a huge fan of Attack! and have the original, but not the expansion.

When I play Trade Wars, I use the same pieces that come in your set.. BUT

... I have a box of floor tile in the garage...

I pull the protective paper off the back, and stick the print out to it... and then cut it up with a utility knife. Its a lot of work, but you only have to do it once.

IF you can find one cheaply enough, there was once a game called Supremacy that has some fairly usable pieces as well.. altho I'm not sure there's enough.

But my home version, that is mine, and with which I play, uses the floor-tile-backed pieces.

:D
XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Does your home version uses a bigger board than the commercial version?
Kersus

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Yes.

But then my home board is always a bit better :D Sorry, prototypes are always a bit nicer... rank has its priviledge.

Its also not practical price-wise to fully reproduce my prototypes most of the time. We do make presentation/cost decisions when we put out a commercial version of any of our designs.

Sometimes that means smaller, or less color... but we do hope to keep value high and prices low.

That's the goal. anyway.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Micro-board Games