Trade Wars

We make a LOT of ready-to-play micro boardgames including the "When Good... Go Bad" series, Space War, Catskills, Anyville Horror, Lemmings In Space, Who's Your Daddy?, Brunch at the Coliseum, and much, much more. If you can play it without any additional pieces beyond perhaps a pencil or a six-sider you'll find it in this forum.

Moderator: Chris

Trade Wars

Postby Kersus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:09 am

I just ordered Trade Wars and hope it's as goos as I've heard ;)

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:52 pm

I assume you're not actually asking my opinion. :D

Its a bit cerebral, although not terribly complex rules-wise. It does NOT play well with only two players, and the 4-player game is best.

Don't hate me, but it was originally designed as an 8-player game... although it plays pretty well with 3 or more.

My wife won't play it... the strategies (not the rules) are complex enough that she gets headaches :D.

By the same token, I had my derrier handed to me by an 11-year old when I first premiered the game at Gen Con a decade ago.

That one was quite a while in the making, but is my 'favoritest-of-all-the-games-I-have-ever-done game'.

We hope to put out a boxed 8-player version within the next two years. Unfortunately, It will come with about 400 pieces, and will probably run about $50 retail.

XXOOCC
The guy that runs this chicken outfit.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Just received it today! Will look through it ASAP!

Hopefully my wife will play it.....

K
Kersus

Postby Kersus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Coupla Qs:

In the squares that have one kitty corner, can you move diagonally?

How do you play with 5-8 players?

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:59 am

On the kitty-corner - yes, you can move diagonally.

The 8-player game had 8 pie sections... and each player had:
A perfect competitor
A perfect customer
A partial competitor
A partial customer

for each commodity. The 8-player game also has no science labs or medical centers.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks for the answers.

So how would one come across the 8 player map? Did it work okay with 5-7 people? I garruntee whenever I want to play this I'll end up with either 2 or 5 players. Grrrr... ;)

...and what are:
A perfect competitor
A perfect customer
A partial competitor
A partial customer

Looks like a pretty good game anyway. I haven't played it yet, but hope to get a 2-player version played through to see how it all works soon.

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm

As a 2-player game... its not a great game. It becomes strictly a military conquest game, and, IMO, a bit boring.

The version you have is really designed for 3-4 players, although it will play with two.

My home-made version of the game is the only current copy of the 8-player game. It was created back in 1984, with software that not only no longer exists, it won't even run under current operating systems.

Short form: the files that created the 8-player game no longer exist. The actual 8-player game does.

A 5-7 player game is an incredible good time. The complexity of the game increases as you add players. The ramifications of any given action in the game increase geometrically as players are added to the mix.

A perfect competitor is an entity that makes the same product that you make, and at the same cost.

A perfect customer is an entity that has the worst capacity for creating the item that you make the most cheaply.

A partial competitor is an entity that CAN make the item that you make most efficiently/cheaply, but that does so at a disadvantage, a slightly higher cost, than you do.

A partial customer is an entity that has a diminished capacity for creating the item that you make the most cheaply, i.e. they CAN make it themselves, but not in an economically feasible fashion.. the cost of self production is high without being ridiculously high.

I MIGHT be able to create an 8-player board for you.. you'll need to photocopy the pieces and print 4 additional colors of those pieces, however.

The 8-player game IS incredibly kewl (there are actually FEWER rules).
I'll see what I can do. :D

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Chris wrote:I MIGHT be able to create an 8-player board for you.. you'll need to photocopy the pieces and print 4 additional colors of those pieces, however.

That sounds pretty awesome!

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:21 am

Shoot me an e-mail reminder at FUZHero@aol.com

...otherwise, it will get lost in the whirlwind here :D.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Consider it done.

So you have a whirlwind there eh? Wonder if they're related to my wife.... I always call her a tornado.

<looking around sheepishly to make sure she didn't see me type it>

Freedom!
:lol:

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Got your e-mail :D

Saved your e-mail. :D

...and will look at accomplishing this today.

Cross your fingers. The game is old (designed in 1982) enough that much of what we have in the design file is non-electronic - I just need to track it all down and do some scanning.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:59 am

Kersus...

I
F O U N D
T H E
8 - P L A Y E R
B O A R D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot me an address to send the graphic to, and I will get you set up!

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Chris wrote:Kersus...

I
F O U N D
T H E
8 - P L A Y E R
B O A R D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot me an address to send the graphic to, and I will get you set up!

XXOOCC

Email sent! My excitement is building! It will definately get used! I can't wait!

K
Kersus

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 am

Sorry you had to...

Try not to be too critical - this is my prototype board, after all.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Kersus » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 pm

Just reminding you about the 8-player board. I got to give the game a go as 3-player and I have some questions I'll post soon. I have to scour over the rules again just to make sure they're not covered somewhere ;)

Our game went well and we all enjoyed it, but we lost track of time... We played somewhere between 4.5-6.5 hours and gave the win to the person with the most non R&D factories although it still was a little up in the air between two players.

There were two incidents where dice led the game - one with a player missing on over 12 shots and the opposing player's hit with all 12 (8 and 4 respectively). All in all it didn't distinctly impact the game as much as overall resource production, strategy and trade. It was a learning experience.

K
Kersus

Next

Return to Micro-board Games