Story Bites!

This forum is for the discussion of all things Fuzzy Heroes; from rules questions to new products, as well as events, promotions and giveaways. If you're looking to have questions on Fuzzy Heroes answered, this is the place.

Moderator: Chris

Story Bites!

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 am

Summoned here for your enjoyment - unedited story bites from the new book.... feel free to comment...

Strange Cur in a Strange Land
It was dark, almost pitch-black, and quiet. He was lying on something soft but unyielding, and he felt the sudden urge to move. He crawled, moving until a hard surface, a wall perhaps, stopped him from moving forward. He began to feel the surface of the wall, trying to gain an understanding of his surroundings. He bumped into some unknown object, and it fell, making a slight noise. He found an edge mounted on the wall, an edge that felt like a door.

“Mom, there’s a noise in my closet again,” he heard a voice complain. The voice obviously belonged to something far larger than he was, and incredibly scarier.

“Go to bed!” came the even larger reply. This was becoming dangerous!

The edge was definitely a small door, about twice his size, but with no apparent handle. He pushed against it with all of his weight, eager to escape the owners of the voices before they discovered his presence. The door gave suddenly, spilling him forward into a miasma of color, and closing behind him with an audible snap. He rolled forward and opened his eyes.

“Puppy, Blue is my name,” barked a large 4-legged creature that appeared before him as his vision cleared. The creature was gingham blue, about his size and addressed him with an extended paw. Surrounding the creature was a rolling field of green and red squares. It was bright here, and there were unidentifiable sounds in the distance. One persistent sound barked at him yet again.

“I’m known for my keen eyesight, and for my bark. What’s your name?”

He gazed back at the blue creature (‘puppy’, evidently) but could think of nothing to say. He only stared dumbfounded as the creature set him on his feet, and grabbed for a small cloth tag at his hip. He had not realized that he had a tag before. It was torn, and the top was missing, but it was definitely a part of him. The ‘Puppy’ began to read aloud from it.

“Taiwan, it says here,” the creature barked yet again, “and there’s more… ‘A Swine That’s All Heart’. Guess your name is Taiwan.”

“You don’t have to bark at me,” he finally stammered.

“Actually, I do,” the creature barked again, “I’m a puppy, and it is kind of expected of us. Using my keen eyesight, I can see that you have no experience with puppies?”

“Ok, Blue Puppy, I’ll take your word… err… bark for it, “he replied. “because your bark is pretty big.”

“I have been working on that, but my eyesight is still better,” the puppy admitted.

“So your bark is worse than your sight?” he asked.

“I have a feeling this will get worse before it gets better, at the very least. Come and meet the rest of the gang. I need to move anyway, there’s a penny stuck under my right rear paw.” And with that the blue puppy led him towards a large range of hills that seemed to be made of pillows. He could see that there were other figures there.

His senses awhirl, he followed, as, after all, this hound was certainly on the cent.

:D
XXOOCC
The guy that runs this chicken outfit.
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Story Bites!

Postby deimos3428 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Chris wrote:His senses awhirl, he followed, as, after all, this hound was certainly on the cent.

Ouch. I saw the first pun and side-stepped it, but I walked right into this one. I do hope that at some point he stops on a dime, however.
deimos3428

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:05 pm

I should have another story bite up later today. I guess we'll have to see... :D
XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Here we go (btw, these stories are sequential and will form one big story in the book).

A War of Words
There were three of them, and he was getting used to them addressing him as Taiwan. Still, the name didn’t feel quite right.

“Hello Taiwan,” began a small grey stuffed Mouse, “I’m Energy Mouse. I make stuff.”

“Hello Energy Mouse,” Taiwan replied, shifting uncomfortably under the weight of his uncomfortable name. “You make stuffing?”

“No stuff, things, gizmos, what-have-you,” the mouse replied, slightly irritated.

“I have stuffing, thanks for asking,” Taiwan smiled. “But if I ever need more, you’re my mouse.”

A yellow-colored bunny interrupted the mouse’s imminent retort.
“Hello,” he interjected, “I’m Yellow Bunny. I sew.”

“I’m Taiwan,” answered Taiwan, “If your eyes are sore, have you tried putting drops in them?”

“No,” snapped the bunny, “I sew! I repair when necessary.”

“Well I suppose your eyes could be repaired,” answered Taiwan with sympathy, “but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.”

A large, heavy-shelled turtle strode forward to help end the confusion, or at least forestall further comments.
“I’m Tank,” he said lifting a claw, “you?...”

“My name is Taiwan and I’m welcoming you, although I’m not sure what I have done to earn your thanks,” answered Taiwan, grasping the extended claw.

“He’s worse than a Renegade,” whispered Energy Mouse to Blue Puppy.

“Funny you should say that,” came a strange voice from the ridge above. Tank, Taiwan, Blue Puppy, Yellow Bunny and Energy Mouse all looked upwards with a start. A large number of action figures looked down at them, and all of them held weapons!

“Perhaps you should simply surrender,” the action figure smirked. The other toys shrugged whatever they had that passed for shoulders. It seemed the action figures had the advantage.
“But why should we?” asked Taiwan, still unsure of the customary reply.

“I give up,” answered the action figure with a sarcastic smirk.

“They gave up!” cried Taiwan. “We win!”

Taiwan, the Swine that’s all Heart, sank quickly into a restful sleep as all of the action figures, simultaneously, slapped him for what had to be his worst pun so far.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby deimos3428 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm

The pig should get drunk in the next one. Taiwan on!
deimos3428

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:38 am

Thats too good. :lol: I'll have to see if I can work that in.
XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby deimos3428 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Chris wrote:Thats too good. :lol: I'll have to see if I can work that in.
XXOOCC

Hey, I live to serve. It's all yours. :wink:
deimos3428

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Here's the next one.

Con-Text
Taiwan, the Pig that was All Heart, swam slowly back to consciousness. He was surrounded by gray, a color which struck him as being about average for Defense and Avoidance, although he wasn’t sure why it struck him that way. As he surveyed his surroundings, he discovered that he was in a cell, a prison cell, a square room with 4 walls and a locked door about half a turn’s movement in size. The window to the cell was bars, not glass, and the only object in the cell was a small square that lay on the floor.

“Hello,” he cried loudly. “Can anybody help me?”

“I can’t hear you,” came the reply from beyond his cell, “Nobody can hear you. You have to use the phone.”

“The phone?” Taiwan replied in shock. “What phone?”

“The phone on the floor. It’s a cell phone.”

“Oh,” answered Taiwan.

“Still can’t hear you,” said the voice for no readily apparent reason.

Taiwan picked up the square object from the floor. It flipped open and the pig noticed a number of buttons. Taiwan pressed several at random.

“Hello,” said a voice on the phone.

“Hello!” replied Taiwan excitedly. “Who is this?”

“Eye Decay,” responded the voice.

“Then who should I ask?” replied Taiwan, now thoroughly confused.

Strange letters suddenly appeared on the phone in front of Taiwan. They spelled out,
“No you idiot, my name, Eye Decay.”

“Why are you spelling things to me instead of talking?” asked Taiwan.

“You misunderstood Eye Decay,” replied the voice.

“Which now?” asked the confused pig, “Do you think I misunderstood or that you don’t know?”

A strange humming noise from the Cell Phone was the only reply.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Okay - here is today's prolly won't be one tomorrow...

...and these ahve already been written.. so tying one on will appear somewhat later. :D

The Terry Orist Cell
Taiwan could hear two voices entering the prison, which was strange, because they obviously weren’t using the cell phones. It seemed another prisoner was being brought in.

“Be careful, this guy is dangerous,” said one voice.

“I don’t know, somehow I think putting him in a cell might make things worse,” replied another voice.

“Come on,” said the first voice, irritated, “act like an action figure and get him in there.”

Taiwan heard one of the other doors open with a metallic clank, and then a third, previously unheard voice said only, “…you’ll be sorry!”

There was a deafening explosion, and the cardboard of the building shook to its seams. The door to Taiwan’s cell popped open. He was free! He rushed into the corridor outside. Energy Mouse, Yellow Bunny, Blue Puppy, and Tank the Turtle were already there.

“What happened?” asked Taiwan, shocked.

“No time for that,” replied Energy Mouse. “We have to get out of here.”

Taiwan, unable to control himself, surveyed the damage in the hallway. Four action figures lay on the floor, shaking their heads, and strange, malformed balls of clay decorated the ceiling, walls, and floor. Stranger still, the clay bits seemed to be moving of their own accord, reforming into a larger mass of clay.

“Come on, pig, we have to go!” cried Energy Mouse.

“But look at that!” shouted Taiwan, unable to control himself.

As he spoke the clay finished regrouping itself, and was now a single mass that quickly formed itself into the likeness of a round, lumpy action figure that had firecrackers for arms and legs. The four actions figures on the floor were getting to their feet. Taiwan could not restrain himself

“Who are you?” he asked the strange lump-of-clay-action-figure.

“Terry Orist at your service,” the blob responded. “…and I don’t know what you are thinking, but the last thing you want is to let me rejoin my cell.”

“It doesn’t matter what he thinks,” one of the action figures, now fully erect, replied. “You’re all going back to your cells. Terry Orist Cells don’t scare me.”

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 pm

ready for more? :D

Foam-Band Security
Eye Decay had also been freed by the explosion, and he stood there with torn seams, leaking stuffing onto the floor. Yellow Bunny sprang to his aid and immediately began sewing him back together. Within a turn, he looked like new.

“All right, back to your cells,” commanded the first of the action figures.

“Why should we?” argued Eye Decay. “Just who do you think you are?”

“Gee,” the action figure pondered sarcastically, “I’m Joe! Now move it or prepare for sleep!”

Eye Decay starting hovering his way to the door. “Sorry guys, I’m changing my name to Eye M. OuttaHere.”

“Tank, charge them,” hissed Energy Mouse. “This floor is made of foam, and I have an idea.”

The prison exploded into action. Tank waddled forward and engaged the action figures, while Taiwan and Yellow Bunny looked on in amazement. Terry Orist just stood there, apparently unsure of what to do without his cell. Energy Mouse began tearing up chunks of the floor, fashioning them into bracers, bands of foam that protected and surrounded his wrists.

“I’m on my way, Tank!” the mouse shouted in triumph, charging forward. Tank was being attacked by all three of the action figures, and while his shell protected him from many of the blows, Yellow Bunny could see that he was getting sleepy. Taiwan was unsure what to do. He noticed that Terry Orist seemed fascinated by Energy Mouse’s wrist bands. The clay lump began moving towards the mouse just as he began attacking the action figures.

Energy Mouse was a whirlwind of action, forcing the action figures towards the cells at the rear of the prison. Yellow Bunny tended to Tank, and soon restored him to full wakefulness. Taiwan saw that Terry Orist was nearing Energy Mouse just as the clay figure jumped in front of him, grabbing for the foam bands on his wrists. He hollered a warning, hoping he wasn’t too late.

“Look out Energy Mouse!” he cried.

Energy Mouse, now on guard, quickly spun in a full circle, kicking Terry Orist in the middle of his torso, propelling him into the cell at the back of the prison, near the action figures. Terry exploded with a deafening roar, knocking down al of the action figures. The Fuzzy Heroes reeled from the blast, but stayed on their feet. Energy Mouse quickly seized the initiative by rolling an eleven on two dice, and motioned for the other Fuzzy Heroes to follow him. Soon the four of them were running towards the welcome protection of the nearby Fluffy Forest.

“How did you know to kick him into a cell?” asked Taiwan, still awed by the intelligence of the gray mouse.

“I didn’t,” admitted the mouse, “but when he reached for my wrist-guards, it became a matter of foam-band security.”

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Okay - this one is a bit short :D

Plain Talk
The whirlwind flight from the prison slowed as the Fuzzy Heroes entered the welcoming protection of the Fluffy Forest. Taiwan was unsure as to the cause of the slowdown, but he was certain it had something to with the rules covering Terrain Effects.

“We must leave the forest,” urged Energy Mouse. “Those naughty action figures are still too close.”

“Won’t the forest leave itself? Isn’t that what trees do?” asked Taiwan, confused.

“No Taiwan,” continued the exasperated mouse, “I mean the forest conceals too much. Its secrets could mean sleep for all of us.”

“And it’s no where near my bedtime!” protested the pig.

“Exactly,” agreed Energy Mouse, somewhat mollified. “We need strong place, in the open, where we can watch all of the approaches. We need a palace.”

“”Don’t a-worry mouse,” smiled Taiwan, “I’m-a your pal.”

Energy Mouse sighed heavily. This was going to be more difficult than he had thought.

“All right, a castle then. I can’t think of a pun that can be used against us if we have a castle. But there’s a lot of work involved building a castle; we’ll need help. We need more toys!”

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Here's the next...

A Cold Day’s Intel
“Where can we get more toys?” asked Taiwan, worried. “I like the idea of a castle, but I won’t go and take toys from my friends in the real world.”

“No one is suggesting that, Taiwan,” agreed Energy Mouse. “But the problem remains. There just aren’t enough of us to build a Castle, and without one, we won’t be able to help kids in the real world. The naughty boy toys will find us eventually, and will probably take us prisoner again… or worse… but we can’t stay in the forest. It’s just too hard to see.”

A light snow began to fall, quickly escalating into a full snowstorm. Although there was little wind, it was soon hard to see more than a few inches. Soon, Taiwan could see only the vague outlines of his friends. He also thought he heard the faint sound of bells.

“…And this is better? Is this normal?” the pig asked the surrounding snowy forms.

“Funny that you should ask that,” quipped Energy Mouse. Tank the Turtle cut him off.

“I have never seen anything like it,” the turtle reflected. “I seem to remember, a very long time ago, being delivered to my owner in a large bag, and seeing glimpses of something like this when the bag was opened….”

“HO-HO-HO,” interrupted a voice from nowhere in particular. The snow, as rapidly as it had begun, suddenly stopped.

“This is no time for snack cakes, turtle,” snapped Energy Mouse.

“It wasn’t me…” the turtle replied hesitantly, “…but I know that voice… It’s…”

“Merry Christmas!” said the voice again as a large red sled pulled by eight stuffed reindeer landed near the snow-covered group. A round man in a red suit with black boots stepped out of the sled. He had an enormous red bag on his shoulder. He opened the bag, and toys of all kinds spilled from it!

“Here’s the help you need,” the round man announced with a smile.

“Was all this really necessary,” asked Energy Mouse in an annoyed voice, indicating the snow that surrounded them. “I have to say that I’m not crazy about all this snow. …and the reindeer are cute, but is it really necessary? What would you do if we were in combat? What if we were already sleeping, prisoners of the naughty toys??”

“Read my contract,” came the sardonic reply. “I know when you are sleeping.”
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:27 pm

and another! There's almost a fully-fledged story here :D

Constructive Criticism
The Blanket Plain was a flurry of activity. Several burrowing and digging toys had excavated a mine where they were quarrying blocks of Styrofoam, while other toys were hauling the blocks into position, making strong walls to defend the castle that was being built by still other toys behind those walls. Energy Mouse was instructing the toys on where to place and join the blocks. Yellow Bunny was tending to minor injuries. Tank the Turtle kept suggesting that the castle be shaped like a shell. Taiwan saw only one toy not working.

A civil war soldier toy sat at the edge of all the activity, calmly eating a sandwich and occasionally waving a small flag. Taiwan waited for a lull in Energy Mouse’s activities to inquire as to his function.

“What’s up with that guy?” Taiwan asked.

“There isn’t time,” said Energy Mouse curtly. “I need someone to check on the position of those naughty boy toys so that they don’t catch us off guard. Do you think you could handle that?”

“Well,” stammered the pig, surprised, “I don’t move that fast…”

“Take Rainbow with you, ride him,” answered Energy Mouse, making a quick decision, and indicating a unicorn that was working on the castle’s nearest wall, “and get back here as soon as you can.”

Taiwan could not stop staring at the Civil War soldier, and his apparent inactivity. Energy Mouse knew he had no choice but to explain.

“Don’t worry about him Taiwan,” the mouse said with a shake of his head. “Can’t you see his uniform? He’s a Union man.”

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of these...

The Fast and the Furriest
“Hey Rainbow,” Taiwan said, approaching the Unicorn, “Energy Mouse asked if you could carry me to check on the naughty toys. What are you doing?”

The Unicorn turned to look at the Pig. He was holding a small shovel in one hoof, and was tending what appeared to be some very cute little trees made from pom-poms.
“I am tending my trees,” he replied, “They have to be nice. That way, when I need them, I can hit them.” The Unicorn looked mournfully at the trees for a moment, and then set down his shovel. “But if Energy Mouse says we should go, then we should go.”

Taiwan looked confused. He didn’t like the idea of hitting, especially trees. He climbed aboard the unicorn and grabbed a handful of plush mane. Rainbow reared, whinnied, and prepared to be on his way. Taiwan simply could not control his curiosity.

“Hit the nice trees?” he asked incredulously.

“You asked for it!” shouted Rainbow.

The Unicorn took off like a shot, taking Taiwan’s breath away. They quickly traveled around the forest, thundering across the Blanket Plain with a speed that made their surroundings appear to be nothing more than a blur. Taiwan saw blue fire erupting from Rainbow’s hooves. They were moving at an incredible speed.

Without warning, Rainbow stopped just short of a slight hill. Taiwan climbed shakily to the ground. He could hear voices on the other side.

“Shhh,” cautioned Rainbow, “those are the naughty toys. Let’s listen and see what they are up to.”

“I’d prefer to look,” retorted Taiwan, still flustered from his wild ride, “and it looks like most of them are up to six inches tall.”

Rainbow flattened the pig to the ground with a hoof as the naughty toys began to argue.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:04 pm

this story is starting to heat up...

The Eye Has It

“I heard them talking. Those darn fuzzies are hoping to make forays back into the real world to HELP their former oppressors… the kids that owned them!” complained one voice.

“They must be stopped,” agreed a calm voice that Taiwan thought he recognized.

“Lets gather all of the other toys and attack!” chimed in a third voice.

“And who will lead them,” asked the calm voice again, “you?”

“I will!” demanded several voices at once.

“No,” answered the calm voice, “I will.”

Rainbow the Unicorn peered cautiously over the edge of the hill just as a loud sizzling noise reached Taiwan’s ears. Several yelps followed, and then the sound of ominous snoring; multiple ominous snoring. Taiwan knew he should be quiet, but he could not resist.

“What’s happening up there?” he whispered.

“Shocking,” the unicorn whispered back, “just shocking.”

“It’s ok, I’m a big pig,” reassured Taiwan with a swagger.

Rainbow turned and faced him, annoyed, forgetting to whisper, “No you idiot. There’s a floating eyeball that is shocking the other toys!” The unicorn looked suddenly afraid as a voice from the other side of the hill interrupted him.

“Well,” said the calm voice again, “it seems we have visitors. Let me introduce myself. I am the newly proclaimed Eye King, leader of the Renegade Toys.”

Taiwan peered over the top of the hill just as the sizzling noise again split the quiet air. Everything seemed to slow down then, almost as though someone had hit the slow motion button on a movie camera. He reached quickly into his pocket and rolled three dice while throwing himself out of the way behind the hill. Rainbow did the same just as an enormous bolt of lightning crackled mere inches above their heads. Taiwan leaped onto Rainbow's back and yelled at the top of his lungs.

“Hit the nice trees!”

The unicorn fairly flew across the plain, covering the distance to the Fuzzy Hero castle site in a mere two turns. He halted then, out of breath.

“It’s a good thing we both read up on Avoidance rolls, eh?” asked the pig with a sense of relief. The unicorn, still out of breath, merely nodded.

XXOOCC
Chris
Site Admin

Next

Return to What's New?